Sunday, February 27, 2011

Whitman Poem

One of the first lines of Whitman's poem said a child becomes what it sees. In my case one of the first sights I must have had was of my father. Everyone says that I look like my older brother, Andrew. They also say that Andrew looks a fair amount like my father. Indirectly they also say that I look like my father. My mom once said that I even sound like my father. So in a sense, this short exerpt from Whitman's poem is half true. Not everyone becomes what they see, some like to stand out and be individuals.

1 comment:

  1. Becoming an individual is what as child does as he grows up, according to Whitman. When a child is a child, he connects with the environment. Your environment included your father so as a child you connected with him. As you grow, you become different, an individual.

    ReplyDelete